Whether the symptoms of your hearing loss have led to diagnosis or whether it is undiagnosed, hearing loss is bound to have a deep effect on work life and an even profound effect on your social life. Moreover, incomplete and indecipherable communication often leads to social isolation for the patient.
For a person experiencing hearing simple conversations become painful. Something as much as a noisy background can make you adjust your personality to cover-up for the hearing loss. In the absence of these adjustments, people and friends might think that you are ignoring them. The consequence is isolation and less participation in social activities. Besides, hearing loss is known to cause major communication breakdowns between partners and increase the existing problems in a relationship.
Multiple researches link hearing loss to:
- Irritability, and anger
- Exhaustion and depression
- Withdrawal from social circles
- Decreased alertness
- Impaired ability to learn
- Decreased earning power
- Diminished psychological health
There is a wide variety of technological solutions for overcoming hearing loss and reclaiming your social presence. Besides the solutions offered at the Hearing Aids Centre, one should consider the following as aid in cases of hearing loss.
- There are programming scripts mobiles that increase the ringtone volume of your phone. A hearing aid centre should be able to help you locate these programs.
- Texting can be a replacement to spoken words and some mobile phones even offer hearing aid compatibility.
- Devices like the text phone do not have any audio features at all. They are fully dedicated to texting.
- There are services such as Text Direct. This service reads out your written messages to the person receiving them, and converters the persons reply to text for you.
- There are visual doorbells that will flash when the bell is used.
- Doorbells with extra loud options are available in the market. You can use them as long as you are not staying with someone who has normal hearing.
- Portable doorbells with haptic feedback can be carried around by you as a clip on.
- There are portable amplifiers that can be attached to a television to increase its volume.
- Some hearing aids are LOOP compatible and receive directly from the television. Its only drawback is that the hearing aid may pick up interference from other electrical equipment. Hearing aids often have the T button on them to connect them to televisions.
- Using subtitles is a good option as many programmes auto translate the spoken work to subtitles that appear at the bottom of the screen.
It is important to remind ourselves that hearing loss is a malady not limited to old age alone. Anyone at any point of their life can start experiencing the problem of hearing loss. Even children can experience this ailment due to various reasons. In order to overcome this problem and resurrect your social life, the person suffering from this ailment and his/her family will have to have patience and strength coupled with discipline. Once put together with consul of a good Hearing Aid Clinic, anyone dealing with hearing loss can overcome it with flying colours.